Why we are engaging with Falkirk Council (Falkirk)
We are engaging with Falkirk about its services for people who are homeless and stock quality.
During 2021/22, we reviewed and compared the data for all Councils from the Scottish Government’s national homelessness statistics and the Annual Returns on the Charter. We also spoke to all Councils to gather further information and assurance about their homelessness services. To assess the risks to people who are threatened with or experiencing homelessness we will engage with all Councils during 2022/23.
We will engage with Falkirk in particular about its assessment of homelessness applications.
Tenants and residents in a number of villages in the Falkirk area have raised concerns with Falkirk and with us about the affordability and adequacy of their heating systems. Falkirk has decided to replace these heating systems and is currently progressing its plans to do this.
What Falkirk must do
- provide us with the information we require in relation to its homelessness service;
- provide us with bi-monthly updates on progress with the implementation of the plans for the installation of replacement heating systems; and
- provide us with bi-monthly updates on the work it is doing to support and engage with tenants and residents facing difficulties with the heating systems.
What we will do
- review the information Falkirk provides about its homelessness service;
- meet with Falkirk to discuss its homelessness service and decide whether we require any additional assurance;
- review the bi-monthly updates Falkirk provides about its plans to install new heating systems as well as its engagement with affected tenants and residents and engage as necessary; and
- update our published engagement plan in light of any material change to our planned engagement with Falkirk.
Falkirk must provide us with the following annual regulatory returns:
- Annual Assurance Statement; and
- Annual Return on the Charter.
It should also notify us of any material changes to its Annual Assurance Statement, and any tenant and resident safety matter which has been reported to or is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive or reports from regulatory or statutory authorities or insurance providers, relating to safety concerns.