Why we are engaging with South Lanarkshire Council (South Lanarkshire)
We are engaging with South Lanarkshire about its services for people who are homeless and its site for Gypsy/Travellers
During 2021/22, we reviewed and compared the data for all Councils from the Scottish Government’s national homelessness statistics and the Annual Returns on the Charter. We also spoke to all Councils to gather further information and assurance about their homelessness services. To assess the risks to people who are threatened with or experiencing homelessness we will engage with all Councils during 2022/23.
We will engage with South Lanarkshire in particular about its assessment of homelessness applications.
South Lanarkshire has told us that it does not meet all of its fire safety obligations at its Gypsy/Traveller site at Shawlands Crescent. South Lanarkshire tells us Shawlands Crescent will comply with fire safety obligations by November 2022.
What South Lanarkshire must do
South Lanarkshire must:
- provide us with the information we require in relation to its homelessness service;
- comply with fire safety obligations as soon as possible and no later than November 2022; and
- provide us with monthly reports from the end of April 2022 on its progress in meeting all fire safety obligations for its Gypsy/Traveller site.
What we will do
- review the information South Lanarkshire provides about its homelessness service;
- meet with South Lanarkshire to discuss its homelessness service and decide whether we require any additional assurance;
- monitor South Lanarkshire’s compliance of the fire safety obligations for its Gypsy/Traveller site;
- review South Lanarkshire’s progress with meeting fire safety obligations and review our regulatory strategy in light of this;
- have ongoing engagement with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service as the enforcing authority for fire safety at Gypsy/Traveller sites; and
- update our published engagement plan in light of any material change to our planned engagement with South Lanarkshire.
South Lanarkshire must provide us with the following annual regulatory returns:
- Annual Assurance Statement; and
- Annual Return on the Charter.
It should also notify us of any material changes to its Annual Assurance Statement, and any tenant and resident safety matter which has been reported to or is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive or reports from regulatory or statutory authorities or insurance providers, relating to safety concerns.