Why we are engaging with West Dunbartonshire Council (East Dunbartonshire)
We are engaging with West Dunbartonshire about its services for people who are homeless and tenant and resident safety.
During 2022/23 we reviewed and compared the data for all local authorities from the Scottish Government’s national homelessness statistics and the Annual Returns on the Charter. We also spoke to all local authorities to gather further information and assurance about their homelessness services. To assess the risks to people who are threatened with or experiencing homelessness we will engage with all local authorities during 2023/24 with a focus on the provision of appropriate temporary accommodation.
West Dunbartonshire does not fully comply with the electrical safety requirements of the Scottish Housing Quality Standard. West Dunbartonshire is currently progressing inspections to provide Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICRs) in all of its tenants’ homes.
What West Dunbartonshire must do
West Dunbartonshire must:
- provide us with the information we require in relation to its homelessness service;
- make us aware of any emerging issues preventing it from fulfilling its statutory duty to provide temporary accommodation when it should and comply with the Unsuitable Accommodation Order;
- comply with electrical safety requirements as soon as possible; and
- provide us with monthly updates on progress on achieving compliance with electrical safety requirements.
What we will do
- meet with West Dunbartonshire to discuss its homelessness service and decide whether we require any additional assurance;
- meet with West Dunbartonshire to seek assurance if it does not provide temporary accommodation when it should, or if it breaches the Unsuitable Accommodation Order;
- engage with West Dunbartonshire to monitor its progress on achieving compliance with electrical safety requirements; and
- update our published engagement plan in the light of any material change to our planned engagement with West Dunbartonshire.
West Dunbartonshire must provide us with the following annual regulatory returns:
- Annual Assurance Statement; and
- Annual Return on the Charter.
It should also notify us of any material changes to its Annual Assurance Statement, and any tenant and resident safety matter which has been reported to or is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive or reports from regulatory or statutory authorities or insurance providers, relating to safety concerns.