Why we are engaging with Cathcart & District Housing Association Ltd (Cathcart & District)
We are engaging with Cathcart & District about tenant and resident safety, governance and stock quality.
In November 2021, as part of our annual risk assessment, we issued a short tenant health and safety survey to all social landlords. The purpose of the survey was to provide us with more information about how landlords gain assurance that they comply with all their legal duties and responsibilities in relation to health and safety.
In its survey response, Cathcart & District told us that it commissioned a review of its compliance with its tenant and resident safety duties which found non-compliance with a number of its duties. It has advised us that it has developed an action plan to address the non-compliance and it will be fully compliant by July 2022. We are engaging with Cathcart & District to seek assurance about its progress.
Cathcart & District was proactive in commissioning work to provide it with assurance about compliance with its tenant and resident safety duties but it did not notify us of the non-compliance when this became known. We will engage with Cathcart & District to seek assurance about how it will ensure compliance with regulatory guidance on Notifiable Events.
Cathcart & District also advised that it is carrying out a stock condition survey which it will use to validate its data on SHQS and EESSH compliance. We will engage with Cathcart & District about the findings.
The Housing (Scotland) Act (2010) requires us to monitor and assess the financial well-being, governance and performance of each Registered Social Landlord (RSL).
Our current assessment is that Cathcart & District is working towards compliance with the Regulatory Standards of Governance and Financial Management. We set out below the information that Cathcart & District must provide in order to assure us that it can achieve compliance.
What Cathcart & District must do
Cathcart & District must:
- provide us with a copy of its tenant and resident safety action plan;
- provide us with monthly updates on progress with its action plan;
- provide us with assurance about how it will ensure compliance with our regulatory guidance on Notifiable Events; and
- update us on the findings of its stock condition survey.
What we will do
- review the information Cathcart & District provides regarding its action plan and engage as necessary;
- consider the action Cathcart & District will take to ensure compliance with regulatory guidance on Notifiable Events;
- liaise as necessary with Cathcart & District about the outcome of its stock condition survey; and
- update our published engagement plan in light of any material change to our planned engagement with Cathcart & District.
Cathcart & District must provide us with the following annual regulatory returns and alert us to notifiable events as appropriate:
- Annual Assurance Statement;
- audited financial statements and external auditor’s management letter;
- loan portfolio return;
- five year financial projections; and
- Annual Return on the Charter.
It should also notify us of any material changes to its Annual Assurance Statement, and any tenant and resident safety matter which has been reported to or is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive or reports from regulatory or statutory authorities or insurance providers, relating to safety concerns.