Why we are engaging with Midlothian Council (Midlothian)
We are engaging with Midlothian about its services for people who are homeless and tenant and resident safety.
During 2021/22, we reviewed and compared the data for all Councils from the Scottish Government’s national homelessness statistics and the Annual Returns on the Charter. We also spoke to all Councils to gather further information and assurance about their homelessness services. To assess the risks to people who are threatened with or experiencing homelessness we will engage with all Councils during 2022/23.
We will engage with Midlothian in particular about the following areas:
- the provision of temporary accommodation by Midlothian to people who are homeless; and
- outcomes for people who are homeless.
In January 2022, as part of our annual risk assessment, we issued a short tenant and resident safety survey to all social landlords. The purpose of the survey was to provide us with more information about how landlords gain assurance that they comply with all their legal duties and responsibilities in relation to health and safety.
In its survey response, Midlothian told us that it is in the process of addressing weaknesses in its management of tenant and resident safety. Midlothian has advised us that it will have completed this by June 2022. We are engaging with Midlothian to seek assurance about its progress.
What Midlothian must do
- provide us with the information we require in relation to its homelessness service; and
- provide us with monthly updates on progress with its plans in response to the tenant and resident safety matters.
What we will do
- review the information Midlothian provides about its homelessness service;
- meet with Midlothian to discuss its homelessness service and decide whether we require any additional assurance;
- review the information Midlothian provides in its monthly tenant and resident safety updates and engage as necessary; and
- update our published engagement plan in light of any material change to our planned engagement with Midlothian.
Midlothian must provide us with the following annual regulatory returns:
- Annual Assurance Statement; and
- Annual Return on the Charter.
It should also notify us of any material changes to its Annual Assurance Statement, and any tenant and resident safety matter which has been reported to or is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive or reports from regulatory or statutory authorities or insurance providers, relating to safety concerns.