Why we are engaging with Cairn
We are engaging with Cairn about its plans for a transfer of engagements from Pentland Housing Association Ltd (Pentland).
Cairn has one registered subsidiary ANCHO Ltd.
COVID-19 has significantly impacted the services provided by social landlords in 2020 and will continue to influence how services are provided in 2021. We will continue to monitor, assess and report upon how each landlord is responding and we will keep our regulatory engagement under review so that we can continue to respond to the challenges of COVID-19.
Cairn is developing detailed proposals for a transfer of engagements of Pentland. Pentland’s tenants will then vote on the proposals in an independent ballot.
Cairn is one of the larger developers of new affordable housing in Scotland and receives significant public subsidy to help achieve this. Cairn plans to develop new homes for social rent.
What Cairn must do
- liaise with us as it develops proposals for the transfer of engagements from Pentland; and
- ensure that the impact of the pandemic on its development plans is reflected in its business plan and tell us if there are any material changes to its development plans which might affect its financial position or reputation, in line with our notifiable events guidance.
What we will do
- liaise as necessary about the proposed transfer of engagements from Pentland; and
- update our published engagement plan in light of any material change to our planned engagement with Cairn.
Cairn must provide us with the following annual regulatory returns and alert us to notifiable events as appropriate:
- Annual Assurance Statement;
- audited financial statements and external auditor’s management letter;
- loan portfolio return;
- five year financial projections; and
- Annual Return on the Charter.
It should also notify us of any material changes to its Annual Assurance Statement, and any tenant and resident safety matter which has been reported to or is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive or reports from regulatory or statutory authorities or insurance providers, relating to safety concerns.