Why we are engaging with Clackmannanshire Council (Clackmannanshire)
We are engaging with Clackmannanshire about its services for people who are homeless and its site for Gypsy/Travellers.
During 2021/22, we reviewed and compared the data for all Councils from the Scottish Government’s national homelessness statistics and the Annual Returns on the Charter. We also spoke to all Councils to gather further information and assurance about their homelessness services. To assess the risks to people who are threatened with or experiencing homelessness we will engage with all Councils during 2022/23.
We will engage with Clackmannanshire in particular about its assessment of homelessness applications.
Clackmannanshire has told us that it does not meet all of its fire safety obligations at its Gypsy/Traveller site. Clackmannanshire is unable to estimate when it will be compliant with fire safety obligations.
Clackmannanshire will receive funding from the Gypsy/Traveller Accommodation Fund and expects to close and rebuild its Gypsy/Traveller site following tenant consultation. We will engage with Clackmannanshire about this.
What Clackmannanshire must do
- provide us with the information we require in relation to its homelessness service;
- provide us with an expected date of compliance with fire safety obligations as soon as possible;
- provide us with monthly reports from the end of April 2022 on its progress with regard to the closure and rebuild of the Gypsy/Traveller site and the associated tenant consultation; and
- provide us with monthly reports from the end of April 2022 on its progress in meeting all fire safety obligations for its Gypsy/Traveller site.
What we will do
- review the information Clackmannanshire provides on its homelessness service;
- meet with Clackmannanshire to discuss its homelessness service and decide whether we require any additional assurance;
- require Clackmannanshire to provide us with an expected date of compliance with fire safety obligations;
- monitor Clackmannanshire’s compliance with the fire safety obligations for its Gypsy/Traveller site;
- review Clackmannanshire’s progress with meeting the fire safety obligations and review our regulatory strategy in light of this;
- have ongoing engagement with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service as the enforcing authority for fire safety at Gypsy/Traveller sites;
- review the information Clackmannanshire provides regarding the closure and rebuild of its Gypsy/Traveller site and associated tenant consultation and engage as necessary; and
- update our published engagement plan in light of any material change to our planned engagement with Clackmannanshire.
Clackmannanshire must provide us with the following annual regulatory returns:
- Annual Assurance Statement; and
- Annual Return on the Charter.
It should also notify us of any material changes to its Annual Assurance Statement, and any tenant and resident safety matter which has been reported to or is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive or reports from regulatory or statutory authorities or insurance providers, relating to safety concerns.