Why we are engaging with Clackmannanshire Council (Clackmannanshire)
We are engaging with Clackmannanshire about its services for people who are homeless, its site for Gypsy/Travellers and tenant and resident safety.
During 2022/23 we reviewed and compared the data for all local authorities from the Scottish Government’s national homelessness statistics and the Annual Returns on the Charter. We also spoke to all local authorities to gather further information and assurance about their homelessness services. To assess the risks to people who are threatened with or experiencing homelessness we will engage with all local authorities during 2023/24 with a focus on the provision of appropriate temporary accommodation.
Clackmannanshire is constructing a new site for Gypsy/Travellers. Clackmannanshire tells us this site will be complete by April 2024. Residents are in temporary accommodation until the new site is complete.
Clackmannanshire does not fully comply with the electrical safety requirements of the Scottish Housing Quality Standard. Clackmannanshire is currently progressing inspections to provide Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICRs) in all of its tenants’ homes.
What Clackmannanshire must do
- provide us with the information we require in relation to its homelessness service;
- make us aware of any emerging issues preventing it from fulfilling its statutory duty to provide temporary accommodation when it should and comply with the Unsuitable Accommodation Order;
- inform us of any delays in the completion of its new site for Gypsy/Travellers;
- comply with electrical safety requirements as soon as possible; and
- provide us with monthly updates on progress on achieving compliance with electrical safety requirements.
What we will do
- review the information Clackmannanshire provides about its homelessness service;
- meet with Clackmannanshire to discuss its homelessness service and decide whether we require any additional assurance;
- meet with Clackmannanshire to seek assurance if it does not provide temporary accommodation when it should, or if it breaches the Unsuitable Accommodation Order;
- consider our regulatory engagement with Clackmannanshire if the completion of its new site for Gypsy/Travellers is delayed;
- engage with Clackmannanshire to monitor its progress on achieving compliance with electrical safety requirements; and
- update our published engagement plan in the light of any material change to our planned engagement with Clackmannanshire.
Clackmannanshire must provide us with the following annual regulatory returns:
- Annual Assurance Statement; and
- Annual Return on the Charter.
It should also notify us of any material changes to its Annual Assurance Statement, and any tenant and resident safety matter which has been reported to or is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive or reports from regulatory or statutory authorities or insurance providers, relating to safety concerns.